Burial Consultation Coordinator
This position operates under the general supervision of the Compliance Section Manager in the Wisconsin State Historic Preservation Office (SHPO). Work is performed within the Compliance Section and with a great deal of independence. The position also works in close cooperation with the State Archaeologist and other SHPO archaeology staff.
The primary responsibilities of this position are to assist governmental agencies and the public in the understanding and the implementation of the provisions of laws related to the protection of human burial sites. This position will render determinations regarding the effects of undertakings on human burial sites. This position also assists tribal officials, federal and state agencies, local units of government, professional consultants, landowners, and the general public on the interpretation and implementation of laws and regulations, submittal requirements and the project review process. Additionally, this position will assist in the evaluation of human burial site disturbances, and other issues related human remains, including bone identification.
The salary will be between $25 – $32.08 per hour ($52,000 to $66,726 annually) in accordance with the provisions of the current Compensation Plan. This position is in pay schedule 13, range 04; civil service classification is Archaeologist. A twelve-month probationary period will be required.
In addition to meaningful and rewarding work, we offer a competitive benefits package featuring:
- Substantial leave time including at least 3.5 weeks of vacation to start, 9 paid holidays, and ample accrued sick time that rolls over each year.
- Excellent and affordable health, vision, and dental benefits
- An exceptional pension plan with employer match and lifetime retirement payment, plus an optional tax advantaged 457 retirement savings plan
- Well Wisconsin Wellness Program
- A free and confidential employee assistance program that offers employees and their immediate family dependents a variety of tools, resources, and professional consultation services to support their health, goals, and overall well-being
- Moving expenses may be considered.
Please make sure to describe the following qualifications within your resume and/or letter of qualifications in order to be considered for this position.
Minimally qualified candidate will have experience in all of the following:
- At least one year of full-time professional experience or equivalent specialized training in archeological research, administration or management;
- At least four months of supervised field and analytic experience in general North American archeology, and
- Demonstrated ability to carry research to completion.
- Meet the requirements of a qualified archaeologist as defined in state statute
“Qualified archaeologist” means an individual who has a graduate degree in archaeology, anthropology or a closely related field and at least one year of full-time professional experience or equivalent specialized training in archaeological or physical anthropological research, administration or management, at least 4 months of supervised field and analytic experience in general North American archaeology or physical anthropology and a demonstrated ability to carry research to completion.
- Practical knowledge of human osteology and bio-archaeological professional standards and practices, or coursework.
- Practical experience or coursework in distinguishing human from non-human bone.
- Field experience involving human remains.
In addition to minimum qualifications, a well-qualified candidate will additionally have experience in two of the following areas:
- Demonstrated experience of successfully working with tribal parties to resolve compliance or preservation issues.
- Demonstrated professional experience at state, or federal level compliance or review work.
- Demonstrated experience writing osteological or archaeological reports.
- Demonstrated experience in GIS.
How To Apply
Apply online via WiscJobs HERE
. To apply, click “Apply for Job” to start the application process. Then, you will access your existing account or to create a new account if you don’t have an account. Once you are logged in, click “Apply for Job.” Follow the steps outlined in the application process and submit your application.
Your letter of qualifications and resume are very important parts of your application and are used during our evaluation process to determine your qualifications as they relate to the job. For instructions on developing your resume and letter of qualifications for your application and what should be included in these materials, click here for resume and letter of qualifications instructions
Submitted materials will be evaluated and the most qualified applicants will be invited to participate in the next step of the hiring process.
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer seeking a diverse and talented workforce.
Questions can be directed to email@example.com.