SWCA Environmental Consultants is seeking an Associate/Project Archaeologist for our Half Moon Bay, CA office. Under the supervision of a Project Manager, you will perform field, office, and research tasks while working with and supervising crew members. This position will primarily be office-based, with some fieldwork required.
Your role will be to assist with the planning and execution of field studies related to renewable energy, state & local, transportation and land development.
This position is available at the below levels and title will be based on years of relevant experience or expertise:
- Associate Project Archaeologist – typically at least 5 years of related experience or expertise
- Project Archaeologist – typically at least 7 years of related experience or expertise
Click HERE to apply
What you will accomplish
- Following a standardized procedure, conducts archaeological desktop studies, including review of background data, project information, archaeological sensitivity, and land ownership.
- Conducts data QA/QC, organization, and tracking; collects field data using tablets and geodes.
- Supervises fieldwork, including archaeological survey, testing, data recovery, and/or construction monitoring and ensures quality and completeness of data collected.
- Prepares professional reports and site forms, conducts research and literature reviews.
- Takes initiative, resolves problems, and creates improved procedures to ensure that tasks are completed in the most effective and efficient manner.
- Maintains SWCA’s high standard of scientific ethics and quality assurance, and is motivated to identify and resolve problems in creative ways.
- Works independently, and work well with others as part of a team.
Experience and qualifications for success
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Archaeology, Anthropology or a closely related field.
- Minimum of five to seven years of field experience working as a field archaeologist.
- Participation in an accredited field school or equivalent experience.
- Experience with the application of standard archaeological survey and excavation techniques.
- Proficient with industry standard word processing and spreadsheet software.
- Experience in preparing technical reports.
- Master’s Degree in a related field.
- Experience providing QA/QC review of field documents, site forms and reports.
- Experience leading crews of field technicians on a variety of project types and sizes, regions and agencies.
- Valid Driver’s License in good standing.
- Ability to travel and conduct fieldwork for long hours (sometimes in inclement weather and rugged terrain) and able to carry equipment weighing up to 40 pounds.
SWCA Environmental Consultants is a growing employee-owned firm, providing a full spectrum of environmental services. With offices across the United States, SWCA is one of the largest environmental compliance firms and ranks among Engineering News-Record’s Top 200 Environmental Firms.
If you would like to contact SWCA regarding the accessibility of our website or need assistance completing the online application process due to a disability, please email email@example.com or call 480-581-5378. This contact information is for disability accommodation requests only. All other inquiries will not receive a response.
EOE – women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and veterans are encouraged to apply.
An employee in this Half Moon Bay, CA based position can expect an hourly rate of $34.80–$44.40 for the Associate Project Archaeologist level. The Project Archaeologist role is salaried and an employee at this level can expect an annual range of $80,496-$102,960/year. Actual pay within this range may depend on experience, qualifications, geographic location, client requirements where applicable, and other factors permitted by law. Regular-status employees are also eligible for performance bonuses. Candidates are also encouraged to consider SWCA’s Total Rewards package, which includes a competitive Benefits package, forward-thinking workplace flexibility, outstanding corporate culture, award-winning career development, and more.