Project Archaeologist- Principal Investigator
About the opportunity
SWCA Environmental Consultants is seeking a Project Archaeologist/Principal Investigator (HR Title: Project Archaeologist) in our Baton Rouge, Louisiana office. You will report to our Cultural Resources Team Lead and will collaborate with a larger cultural resources team across the Texas, Mississippi, Louisiana and the greater Gulf Coast region. You will be responsible for managing projects and upholding our company’s standards of excellence.
This is a regular, full-time salaried position. It is preferred that the selected applicant resides or relocates to the Baton Rouge area. A hybrid work arrangement can be considered for the right candidate.
What you will accomplish
- Serve as the primary author on large technical reports, research designs, treatment plans, and other technical documents
- Contribute to a supportive and dynamic work environment, collaborating effectively with other Principal Investigators, Project Managers, and staff in all offices throughout the company
- Conduct content edits of technical reports and site forms
- Oversee technical aspects of field research, data collection, inventory, analysis, and final report production
- Supervise, mentor, and support field staff in all aspects of their responsibilities
- Contribute to business development efforts in the Houston/Baton Rouge market, including managing budgets and preparing proposals
- Take initiative, resolve problems to ensure tasks are completed in the most efficient manner
Experience and qualifications for success
- Minimum of a bachelor’s degree in Archaeology or Anthropology
- Minimum of seven (7) years of archaeology fieldwork experience
- Minimum of five (5) years of supervisory and/or team leadership experience
- Experience completing projects as an Archaeology Principal Investigator
- Experience with Section 106 and Historic Preservation regulatory requirements in Louisiana and surrounding states
- Prior work archaeological experience in Louisiana, or the greater Gulf Coast area
- Experience with all aspects of a project, from proposal to final report preparation, for a variety of project types and sizes, regions, and agencies. Including scheduling and budgeting
- Prior primary report authorship in a CRM context for a variety of project types and sizes, regions, and agencies
- QA/QC review of field documents, site forms, and reports
- Experience leading large crews and/or multiple crews on a variety of project types and sizes, regions, and agencies
- Has conducted marketing, business development, client management, and large proposal efforts
- Ability to coordinate personnel and other resources within budgetary constraints
- Master’s or Doctorate degree in Archaeology or Anthropology
- Meet the Secretary of Interior’s archaeology standards
- Listed as a Registered Professional Archaeologist (or qualified for RPA status)
- Ability to travel and conduct fieldwork for long hours (sometimes in inclement weather, rugged terrain, and at high altitudes) and to carry equipment weighing up to 40 pounds
- Valid Driver’s License in good standing
- Ability to travel 10-20% of time for fieldwork
- SWCA’s Gulf Coast region is focused on Giving Back to our community and promoting scientific progress. We encourage staff to volunteer on community charitable events, and/or join our Scientific Leadership in which SWCA provides time to develop articles or conference presentations.
SWCA Environmental Consultants is a growing employee-owned firm, providing a full spectrum of environmental services. With offices across the United States, SWCA is one of the largest environmental compliance firms and ranks among Engineering News-Record’s Top 200 Environmental Firms.
SWCA is committed to salary equity and salary transparency for all its employees. In alignment with this commitment, SWCA posts good faith pay ranges in all its advertised job postings to promote pay equity and transparency.
An employee in this Baton Rouge, LA-based position can expect a salary of $67,080.00–$85,800/year. Actual pay within this range may depend on experience, qualifications, geographic location, client requirements where applicable, and other factors permitted by law. Regular-status employees are also eligible for performance bonuses. Candidates are also encouraged to consider SWCA’s Total Rewards package, which includes a competitive Benefits package, forward-thinking workplace flexibility, outstanding corporate culture, award-winning career development, and more.
EOE – women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and veterans are encouraged to apply
If you would like to contact SWCA regarding the accessibility of our website or need assistance completing the online application process due to a disability, please email email@example.com or call 1-480-581-5378. This contact information is for disability accommodation requests only. All other inquiries will not receive a response.