Associate Project Architectural Historian
Click HERE to apply
About the opportunity
SWCA’s expanding Architectural History Group is seeking an Associate Project Architectural Historian to support our California team, working with current staff in our five offices statewide. Under supervision of the Architectural History Team Lead, the Associate Project Architectural Historian will perform a variety of office and field tasks. This is a full-time, salaried, benefits eligible position that will report to either our Sacramento or Bay Area office. SWCA has a progressive remote work policy, although field work to regions across northern and central California is essential for this position. Successful applicants will have no fewer than 5 years of experience in historic preservation, architectural history, historic resource analysis, and environmental consulting.
What you will accomplish
- Conduct field surveys to document buildings, structures, landscapes, and other properties
- Independently, or as part of a project team, conducti historic resource assessments/evaluations according to local, state, and federal criteria of significance.
- Archival research, focusing on primary and secondary sources and utilizing online and local resources.
- Researching and writing historic context statements, which identify significant context, historical themes, and property types.
- Preparation of defensible compliance documentation in support of CEQA/NHPA/Section 106 review.
- Planning and carrying out historic resource surveys of a variety of residential, commercial, and institutional properties using Arc-GIS-enabled tablet computers and other cutting-edge survey methodology.
- Documenting survey results in reports and recording historic resources on California DPR 523 forms.
Experience and qualifications for success
- Bachelor’s degree in History, Architectural History, or a closely related field required; Master’s degree strongly preferred
- Experience preparing California DPR 523 forms and conducting historic research and surveys
- Working knowledge of cultural resource laws and regulations, including Section 106 of the National Historic Preservation Act and CEQA
- Strong research, writing, and communication skills.
- 5 years of experience working in California cultural resource management as an architectural historian.
- Must have a current and valid driver’s license, with the ability to drive multiple types of vehicles, trucks, and 4×4’s.
We are 100% employee-owned, and we build our success together. With offices across the United States, SWCA is one of the largest environmental compliance firms and ranks among Engineering News-Record’s Top 200 Environmental Firms. We offer a supportive, team-oriented work environment and competitive wages and benefits, including an 100% employee stock ownership plan (retirement).
SWCA Environmental Consultants is a growing employee-owned firm, providing a full-spectrum of environmental services. With offices across the United States, SWCA is one of the largest environmental compliance firms and ranks among Engineering News-Record’s Top 200 Environmental Firms.
If you would like to contact SWCA regarding the accessibility of our website or need assistance completing the application process, please email email@example.com or call 480-581-5378. This contact information is for accommodation requests only and cannot be used to inquire about the status of applications.
SWCA is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and veterans to apply.
SWCA is committed to salary equity and salary transparency for all its employees. In alignment with this commitment, SWCA posts good faith pay ranges in all its advertised job postings to promote pay equity and transparency.
An employee in this Sacramento, CA-based position can expect a salary of $67,860.00-$86,580.00/year. Actual pay within this range may depend on experience, qualifications, geographic location, client requirements where applicable, and other factors permitted by law. Regular-status employees are also eligible for performance bonuses. Candidates are also encouraged to consider SWCA’s Total Rewards package, which includes a competitive Benefits package, forward-thinking workplace flexibility, outstanding corporate culture, award-winning career development, and more.