Geophysical Specialist/Archaeologist – Full Time/Permanent
Richard Grubb and Associates (RGA) is seeking a Geophysical Specialist/Archaeologist to work within our geophysical program. This individual will be based out of our Wake Forest, North Carolina, office in a hybrid or fully office-based capacity. This is an excellent opportunity for an early- to mid-career professional to work with a team of geophysical archaeologists on a wide variety of projects within a growing full-service cultural resource management firm.
- Conducting geophysical investigations using remote sensing methods such as ground penetrating radar (GPR) under the oversight of the Director of Geophysics. Additional experience with magnetic gradiometry, electrical resistance, conductivity/magnetic susceptibility, or other geophysical survey methods is desirable.
- Data analysis using current software.
- Organization and preparation of data for delivery to clients and agencies.
- Technical writing, including reports and work plans.
- Mapping cemeteries utilizing techniques including GPS and total station.
- Collaboration with RGA archaeologists, historians, and other specialists as required.
- Maintenance and organization of geophysical survey equipment and data.
- Assisting Director of Geophysics and team members with proposals, data analysis and writing, as needed.
Qualified applicants should possess:
- An MA/MS degree in Archaeology, Anthropology, Geosciences, Geoarchaeology, or related field. Registered Professional Archaeologist (RPA) designation preferred.
- Ability to conduct geophysical survey projects; experience with GPR, magnetometer, and other remote sensing techniques.
- Ability to interpret GPR data as both time slices and radargrams.
- At least one year of experience in fieldwork, post-processing, and interpretation of geophysical data. (3+ years of experience preferred.)
- Experience with post-processing geophysical data using GPR Slice and/or RADAN 7. Additional experience with Geoplot 4, Surfer, Archaeofusion, and/or TerraSurveyor64 is preferred.
- Proficiency with GIS software (ArcMap Desktop10.8.x and/or ArcGIS Pro 3.x) and field mapping equipment, such as Trimble GPS units, RTK systems, and total stations.
- Ability to adapt to new techniques, software, and methods, as required.
- Preferred experience includes cemetery identification, delineation, and mapping; precontact and historical archaeology of eastern North America, primarily the southeast; Phase I-III archaeological investigations, and multi-method geophysical surveys.
- Experience with cemetery identification, delineation, and mapping preferred.
- Ability to travel for projects. Overnight travel is anticipated to be 25% or less, but may change dependent on project needs.
- Strong writing, communication, and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to produce field results and technical writing within project schedule and budget.
- Ability to work independently when needed.
- Willingness to engage with professional mentors and colleagues. Collaboration among geophysical team members will be an essential part of this job.
- A general working knowledge of the regulatory environment of cultural resource management in the US. Prior CRM experience preferred.
- Ability to lift and carry up to 40lbs.
This is a full-time position and compensation includes a complete benefits package. Salary is dependent upon qualifications and is anticipated to range between $52,000 and $76,000.
To be considered for this opportunity, please email a cover letter, resume/CV detailing education and work experience, a writing sample, and three professional references to:
Meagan Ratini, Director of Geophysics, email@example.com
RGA is strongly committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment where a variety of backgrounds, cultures, orientations, ideas, and talents can flourish. RGA is an equal-opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by law. RGA is a Drug-Free Workplace. RGA participates in E-Verify.
RGA is a certified WBE/DBE/SBE. Learn more about RGA at www.richardgrubb.com.