New South Associates, Inc. is seeking an Architectural Historian or Senior Historian for its Fairfax, Virginia office. The ideal candidate will have prior experience working on projects related to Section 106 of the NHPA, particularly regarding the Virginia Department of Transportation. A working knowledge of Virginia’s architectural types and styles and an understanding of how to effectively evaluate resources for the National Register of Historic Places is preferred, especially at the Senior Historian level. Although transportation projects and other Section 106 projects may be the primary areas of work for the position, New South prides itself on its diverse array of clients and various types of history and public history-related projects. Therefore, the ideal candidate would be highly motivated, flexible, enjoy fieldwork/travel, and able to adapt well to changing project types and clients. At the Senior Historian level, it is expected the candidate would be well versed in field survey, report writing, and have technical review/report editing skills and experience.
Expected salary range, based on experience: $55K to $75K. Position benefits include medical and dental insurance; paid holiday and vacation time; and optional enrollment in our 401k plan with employer contribution after one year. We believe in active participation from our employees in our professional organizations and our communities, and support employee volunteerism and attendance at conferences and courses.
The position will require the following skillsets:
- Historical research including deed research, primary and secondary source research
- Technical report writing, including architectural descriptions and NRHP evaluations, as well as assessment of effects documents
- Historic context writing and writing for public history endeavors
- Proficiency in digital photography
- Knowledge of architectural types and styles
- Ability to work independently to complete tasks and within a given budget
- Excellent communication skills with the office team as well as with clients
- Willing to work as part of a collaborative team within the New South History Department, as well as between various New South departments such as Archaeology and Production
- Familiarity with InDesign, Photoshop, and GIS would be beneficial
- Must meet the Secretary of the Interior’s Professional Qualification Standards for Architectural History
- Master’s degree in History, Architectural History, Historic Preservation or closely related field.
- Experience and ability to travel preferred.
New South Associates champions a full and inclusive picture of our shared past, and we embrace colleagues from all walks of life who wish to work with us. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer that does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, disability, ethnicity, nationality, gender, sex, religion, or belief.
To be considered for this opportunity, please send resume, cover letter, and a writing sample to Julie Coco, Director of History: email@example.com