Senior Principal Investigator – Archaeology
Gray & Pape, a national and international cultural heritage management (CRM) firm, is seeking a Senior Principal Investigator – Archaeology to join our Archaeology practice.
The expected salary range for this role is $75,000-$101,500 depending on experience and business development capability. This role is full-time, regular status, exempt position. Work location is flexible. The successful candidate will have experience in the archaeology of the Great Lakes Region and in working with American Indian tribes in that region.
Summary of the Role:
The Senior Principal Investigator-Archaeology is responsible for overseeing all aspects of archaeological studies, management of multiple projects, and marketing and business development. This includes archaeological, cultural, historical, and environmental research; literature reviews/ desktop assessments, archaeological reconnaissance and due diligence surveys; Phase I archeological surveys; Phase II archaeological testing and evaluation; Phase III archaeological excavation, data recovery, and mitigation; archaeological, cultural, and historical artifact and laboratory analysis; preparation of archaeological, cultural, historical, and environmental contexts; preparation of a variety of archaeological documentation and technical reports; and preparing artifacts and records for curation.
- A./M.S. in Anthropology, Archaeology, or a closely related field.
- 10 years of CRM consulting experience managing projects and all tasks within the project.
- 5 years of CRM supervisory and lead author CRM report preparation experience.
- Qualified to register as an RPA with the Register of Professional Archaeologists.
- Familiarity with field geospatial software such as ESRI ArcMap and Google Earth.
- Technological skills: ESRI Survey 123 and Collector, Microsoft Office, Adobe Acrobat.
- Traditional and digital mapping, including total station and GPS-based mapping skills; photography; survey techniques; and excavation techniques.
- Ability to analyze data such as statistical analysis, material culture analysis, and geomorphological analysis.
- Comprehensive understanding of the legal framework of CRM.
- Excellent understanding of the National Register of Historic Places Criteria and their application.
- Experience directing field crews.
- Demonstrable report writing experience.
- Experience working within report templates and following style guides.
- Ability to prioritize multiple assignments and tasks concurrently.
- Demonstrated ability to organize and coordinate work within schedule and budget constraints.
- Demonstrated ability to independently design and complete research.
- Demonstrated oral and written communication skills.
- Display curiosity and respect for others’ perspectives and strengths.
- Commitment to promoting equity and inclusion.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license.
- Experience with GIS software.
Travel is project-dependent with an expectation of travel outside the local area and for multiple days. Some projects may require extended travel.
Gray & Pape offers a competitive pay and benefits package, including paid holidays, paid vacation and sick leave, health and disability insurance, and a 401(k)-retirement plan. A complete job description is available upon request.
If you are interested in joining our team, please submit the following to Charity Touchette, HR Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls, please.
- Cover letter detailing experience in Great Lakes Archaeology and in working with American Indian Tribes.
- Resume or CV.
- 1 writing sample (preferably from the past 3-5 years).
This position is open until February 3, 2022, and qualified candidates may be interviewed prior to the close date.
Please visit us at www.graypape.com/our-company/careers/ to learn more.
Gray & Pape is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to providing an environment of respect and inclusion where equal employment opportunities are available to all applicants and employees. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, or any other protected status under federal, state, or local law. Please contact HR to request an accommodation.