Principal Investigator – Archaeology
Cincinnati, OH or Indianapolis, IN
Gray & Pape, a national and international cultural heritage management (CRM) firm, is seeking a Principal Investigator – Archaeology to join Archaeology practice in either our Cincinnati, OH or Indianapolis, IN offices with preference given to the Cincinnati location. Expected salary range for this role is $55,000-$75,000. This role is full time, regular status, exempt position. Gray & Pape offers a hybrid work environment with built in flexibility for days in the office. The successful candidate will have experience in prehistoric, geophysical, and geomorphological archaeology.
Summary of the Role:
The Principal Investigator – Archaeology is responsible for conducting and overseeing all aspects of archaeological projects and studies. This includes: archaeological, cultural, historical, and environmental research and context development; literature and desktop assessments to support modeling and due diligence objectives; archaeological reconnaissance and due diligence surveys; Phase I and II archeological resource
identification and assessment; Phase III archaeological treatment plans, data recovery, and mitigation; archaeological, cultural, and historical artifact and laboratory analysis; preparation of a variety of archaeological documentation and technical reports; and preparing artifacts and records for curation.
- M.A./M.S. in Anthropology, Archaeology, or closely related field.
- 5 years CRM supervisory and lead author CRM report preparation experience.
- Qualified to register as an RPA with the Register of Professional Archaeologists.
- Familiarity with field geospatial software such as ESRI ArcMap and Google Earth.
- Technological skills: ESRI Survey 123 and Collector, Microsoft Office, Adobe Acrobat.
- Traditional and digital mapping, including total station and GPS-based mapping skills; photography; survey techniques; and excavation techniques.
- Ability to analyze data such as statistical analysis, material culture analysis, and geomorphological analysis.
- Comprehensive understanding of the legal framework of CRM.
- Excellent understanding of National Register of Historic Places Criteria and their application.
- Experience directing field crews.
- Demonstrable report writing experience.
- Experience working within report templates and following style guides.
- Ability to prioritize multiple assignments and tasks concurrently.
- Demonstrated ability to organize and coordinate work within schedule and budget constraints.
- Demonstrated ability to independently design and complete research.
- Demonstrated oral and written communication skills.
- Display curiosity and respect for others’ perspectives and strengths.
- Commitment to promoting equity and inclusion.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license.
- Experience with GIS software.
Travel is project-dependent with an expectation of travel outside the local area and for multiple days. Some projects may require extended travel.
Gray & Pape offers a competitive pay and benefits package, including paid holidays, paid vacation and sick leave, health and disability insurance, and a 401(k)-retirement plan. A complete job description is available upon request.
If you are interested in joining our team, please submit the following to Trequia Walker, HR Assistant, at email@example.com. No phone calls, please.
- Cover letter detailing experience with prehistoric, geophysical, and geomorphological archaeology or historical archaeology.
- Resume or CV;
- 1 writing sample (preferably from the past 3-5 years).
This position is open until September 16, 2022, and qualified candidates may be interviewed prior to close date.
Please visit us at www.graypape.com/our-company/careers/ to learn more.
Gray & Pape is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to providing an environment of respect and inclusion where equal employment opportunities are available to all applicants and employees. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, or any other protected status under federal, state or local law. Please contact HR to request an accommodation.