Gray & Pape, a national and international cultural heritage management (CRM) firm, is seeking a GIS Specialist in our Houston, TX office. The expected salary range for this role is $55,000-$70,000 commensurate with skills and experience. This role is full-time, regular status, exempt position. Gray & Pape offers a hybrid work environment with built-in flexibility for days in the office.
Summary of the Role:
The GIS Specialist is responsible for providing GIS support for company projects, and the research, development, and implementation of GIS technology for the company.
- Utilize the company’s GIS capabilities to support and enhance projects.
- Coordinate with staff to develop databases and GIS structures that can be used to analyze and manage project data and enhance the visual presentation of the data.
- Educate staff about various capabilities of the company’s GIS and its applicability for resource/planning analysis and project management support.
- Coordinate with project managers, field personnel, and other staff to prepare project mapping and report graphics.
- Manage project spatial data, develop project-specific database structures, and develop project-appropriate and innovative GIS and map products.
- Coordinating with the GIS Director / Senior GIS Specialist to provide up-to-date evaluations of company GIS resources and develop new GIS technology.
- Participate in planning for, implementing, and using new technologies.
- Create training materials for field and office staff and assist with training.
- Maintain familiarity with the Internet, published, and commercial data and base map sources acquire needed data and electronic base mapping, maintain company GIS archive, and maintain an inventory of in-house resources.
- Maintain current awareness of GIS literature, software, and hardware, and its applicability to CRM.
- Manage tasks and schedules for multiple simultaneous projects to complete projects on time and on budget following company standards and protocols.
- Evaluate and ensure that data sets are retrieved in the field correctly, that data sets are processed appropriately in-house, and accurate report graphics are generated on schedule and within budget for that data.
- Participate in public outreach programs to educate people about the importance of archaeological resources and CRM, at the project, professional, and/or community levels.
- Maintain a commitment to promoting equity and inclusion.
- B.A./B.S. in Anthropology, Geography, or related field plus 5 years’ experience in the application of GIS technology/analysis or:
- B.A./B.S. in Anthropology, Geography, or related field plus Post-Baccalaureate degree in GIS plus 3 years’ experience in the application of GIS technology/analysis.
- Extensive experience with ArcGIS 10.x, ArcGIS PRO, and familiarity with other GIS packages (Surfer, Indrisi, GRASS).
- Experience with ArcGIS online, ArcGIS Field Maps, Survey 123, and other database programs Excel and Access.
- Demonstrable experience partnering with Project Management and other researchers in the development of GIS databases.
- Demonstrated written and oral communication skills, particularly including the cartographic presentation of cultural, historical, and archaeological information.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license and ability to operate a passenger car/light truck.
- M.A./M.S. in Anthropology, Geography, or related field plus experience in the application of GIS technology/analysis.
- Experience with GIS in a CRM environment.
- Experience in the practice and application of electronic mapping and cartography, the use of total station, GPS, and other data collection instruments.
- Experience in the preparation of GIS data, metadata, and mapping products from a variety of GIS and drafting packages.
- Working knowledge of AutoCAD.
- Familiarity with geophysical archaeological software (GPR-Slice, RADAN, TerraSurveyor, Geoplot, etc.)
- Familiarity with both terrestrial and maritime archaeological data mapping including magnetometer remote sensing and/or terrestrial contour mapping.
- Experience in civil surveying, archaeological fieldwork, historical research, remote sensing (i.e., aerial photo and satellite imagery), and/or geographic modeling.
Travel is project-dependent with an expectation of travel outside the local area and for multiple days. Some projects may require extended travel.
Gray & Pape offers a competitive pay and benefits package, including paid holidays, paid vacation and sick leave, health and disability insurance, and a 401(k)-retirement plan. A complete job description is available upon request.
If you are interested in joining our team, please submit the following to Trequia Walker, HR Assistant, at email@example.com. No phone calls, please.
- Cover letter detailing expression of interest;
- Resume or CV;
- 3 sample maps showing survey data, preference given for one sample showing maritime remote sensing data results.
The position is open until September 09, 2022, and we will be interviewing qualified applicants immediately. Please visit us at https://www.graypape.com/our-company/careers/ to learn more.
Gray & Pape is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to providing an environment of respect and inclusion where equal employment opportunities are available to all applicants and employees. Applicants and
employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender
identity, gender expression, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, or any other protected status under federal, state, or local law. Please contact HR to request accommodation.