Gray & Pape, a national and international Heritage Resource Management (HRM) firm, is seeking a highly motivated and strategic Human Resources Director in our Cincinnati, OH office. This role will lead all things Human Resources for Gray & Pape and will consult in Human Resources for a partner firm. The expected salary range for this role is $90,000- $105,000 commensurate with skills and experience. This role is full-time, regular status, exempt position.
Gray & Pape will consider this role in one of our other brick-and-mortar offices, but strong preference will be given to our Cincinnati location. Gray & Pape offers a hybrid work environment with built-in flexibility for days in the office.
- You are committed to Gray & Pape’s mission, vision, values and have an unwavering commitment to equity, diversity, inclusion, and accessibility in all we do.
- You are articulate, influential, and possess motivating charisma paired with sound business judgment and good common sense.
- Your desire to work as part of a team means you are the first to roll up your sleeves and get tasks done. You lead your team through participation and collaboration.
- You are hardworking and you believe we win as a team. You navigate all personality types with patience and seek to create relationships.
- You actively seek opportunities for collaborative thinking, ideas sharing, and problem-solving paired with using these opportunities for teaching and mentoring.
- You push for constant improvement but do so with a service and mentoring mindset.
- You work well with all levels of the organization, recognizing correctly that it takes us all to make the company successful.
- You have a passionate commitment to successful and transparent communication.
Summary of the Role:
The Human Resources Director coordinates and leads all employment practices, policies, and programs, ensuring that the organization is in full compliance with applicable laws and regulations. They will develop, implement, and evaluate current and ongoing HR policies and programs, and serve as an advisor to senior leadership with respect to employment law compliance, personnel management and
development, policy, and benefit plan administration. They lead efforts to implement effective people programs, initiatives, and processes that will attract and retain a diverse, high-performing workforce. They partner with leadership in two companies to set talent and human capital strategies, develop the workforce, and build a culture where employees feel engaged, valued, and supported to do their best work.
- Administer, lead, and oversee all HR programs including recruiting, termination of employment, performance management, investigations, employee relations, benefits management, affirmative action, career development, and health and safety.
- Oversee the execution of compliant hiring activities such as posting jobs, applicant tracking, onboarding, new hire reporting, and E-Verify processes.
- Oversee employee new hire and rehire offer letter processes.
- Take an active role in the development and implementation of diversity, inclusion, accessibility, and equity efforts company wide.
- Coordinate employee orientation, mentoring, and training activities.
- Manage succession planning via employee roadmap and assessment programs.
- Guide and assist management with employee performance and personnel issues.
- Manage employee performance and separation activities including performance improvement documentation, performance improvement plans, and separation from employment activities.
- Coordinate the annual employee evaluation process with Regional Managers.
- Coordinate employee compensation activities.
- Coordinate unemployment claims and benefit wage audits.
- Function as the initial point of contact for employee workplace concerns and grievances.
- Conduct exit interviews with separating employees.
- Maintain job descriptions/titles for all positions.
Policy and Strategic Influence
- Serve as an HR strategic business partner to the management team.
- Interpret new state and federal employment laws and create HR policies and procedures to ensure fair and consistent application of company standards.
- Advise senior leadership during short and long-term planning, suggest and vet new programs and HR strategies, and educate leadership on regulatory actions that impact Gray & Pape’s ability to attract, develop, and retain employees.
- Translate company strategic direction and goals related to staffing, human capital management, recruitment, and retention into HR action plans.
- Evaluate, establish, and maintain employee handbooks, manuals, policies, and procedures.
Benefit Program Administration
- Coordinate employee health and insurance benefit and wellness programs and enrollment.
- Coordinate insurance renewals to include researching and proposing options that continue to meet the needs of the company and employees.
- Conduct routine comparisons to industry/national trends in additional benefit options.
- Management of two 401(k) retirement plans to include annual enrollment, regulatory filings, and employee notifications.
- Function as a point of contact for employee benefit plan questions.
- Manage state and federal compliance reporting including but not limited to state employment reports, benefit censuses, wage and hour audit reports, requests for background investigations, and other employment surveys.
- Identify and ensure the companies remain in compliance with federal and state employment laws including, but not limited to, DOL, FLSA, FMLA, ADA, SCA, ADEA, ERISA, HIPAA, PPACA, and related Executive Orders.
- Coordinate with and oversee the Corporate Safety Director and Safety Team to assist in maintaining an effective safety program.
- Navigate Drug-Free Workplace requirements as they pertain to Federal contractors and the intersection of state laws.
- Develop, maintain, and ensure compliance with personnel documentation including performance memos and plans, offer letters, and termination documentation.
- Coordinate and manage Affirmative Action plan creation and related compliance requirements.
- Complete annual EEO-1 and Vets 4212 reporting.
- Display commitment to Gray & Pape’s mission, vision, and values with an unwavering commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and accessibility in all that we do.
- Coordinate and partner with HR Consultants and service vendors to establish and facilitate effective people operations.
- Maintain professional and technical knowledge of state/legal employment law developments, HR trends, best practices, and new technologies in HR by participating in external education activities.
- Maintain excellent communication and foster a collaborative working environment with all departments and offices.
What You Need to be Successful:
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources Management, Social Sciences, or other related disciplines.
- Minimum of seven years of increasing responsibility in Human Resources with the last 2 years in Human Resources Management in a role holding direct accountability for HR operational performance.
- Demonstrable ability to multitask and manage multiple projects and tasks in a fast-paced environment.
- Strong people management and leadership skills; ability to lead a team of established HR and Safety professionals, ability to influence senior leadership, and ability to positively rally the team toward achieving company and HR goals.
- Experience with Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion programs preferred.
- Experience with employment law in Oregon, Washington, Montana, California, Ohio, Indiana, Rhode Island, Virginia, and Texas preferred.
- Experience with affiliates or subsidiaries preferred.
- Professional in Human Resources (PHR), Senior Professional in Human Resources (SPHR), SHRM Certified Professional (SHRM-CP), or SHRM Senior Certified Professional (SHRM-SCP) certifications are a big plus!
- Previous experience managing and designing HR departments and functions in small to mid-sized professional services or consulting companies is a big plus!
- Medical insurance with generous company contributions – a choice between 3 plan options.
- Voluntary dental and vision insurance with discounted rates.
- Employer-paid and voluntary buy-up life insurance benefits.
- Short- and long-term disability benefits.
- Two employee assistance programs each with no-cost counseling sessions available.
- 401(k) and Roth retirement programs with generous employer match (upon meeting eligibility).
- Vacation and PTO paid leaves.
- Professional development/continuing education opportunities.
- Holiday pay, jury duty, and bereavement pay.
What Success Looks Like in the First 6 Months:
At 90 days, you understand our industry, team dynamics, and company strategic priorities. You’ve built rapport with staff and are having regular meetings with direct reports and key leadership. You have established a process for state and federal law change notifications and are communicating those changes to leadership and staff. You are integrating into our diversity, equity, and inclusion programs, and you are comfortable with our technology.
At 6 months, you are familiar with current HR programs and processes, and you can identify areas of opportunity for streamlining approaches. You understand the company’s strategic goals and can translate those goals into human capital action items.
Want to Come Work with Us?
Please send a resume and cover letter addressing your experience in the following areas to email@example.com:
- Demonstrable years of experience with researching and applying and complying with state and federal laws and regulations.
- Demonstrable years of experience with policy development and implementation.
- Demonstrable years of experience with Affirmative Action planning and compliant hiring.
- Demonstrable years of experience in the development, implementation, and execution of Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Accessibility strategies.
- Demonstrable years of experience with benefit program administration including insurance programs and plan renewals/open enrollment, 401(k) retirement accounts, COBRA, and EAPs.
Not sure if you should apply?
Research shows that women and marginalized community members tend to only apply for jobs in which they check every box. If you think you have what it takes to be successful in this role, but you can’t check every single box, please get in touch. We’d love to have a chat and see if you could be a great fit.
The position is open until filled. Please visit us at https://www.graypape.com/ourcompany/careers/ to learn more.
Gray & Pape is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to providing an environment of respect and inclusion where equal employment opportunities are available to all applicants and employees. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, or any other protected status under federal, state, or local law. Please contact HR to request an accommodation.