Gray & Pape, a national and international cultural heritage management firm, has an opening for an Archaeologist 3 to join our Archaeology practice and support our Indianapolis, IN office. This role is an hourly, non-exempt position with a range of $25.00-$28.00 per hour commensurate with experience, qualifications, and education. The successful candidate for this role will have experience running small projects on their own and creating client reports/deliverables on the results of fieldwork.
Gray & Pape offers a hybrid work environment with built-in flexibility for days in the office.
Summary of the Role:
The Archaeologist 3 supervises archaeological tasks and studies under the direction of a Principal Investigator. This includes archaeological, cultural, historical, and environmental research; literature reviews/desktop assessments; archaeological reconnaissance and due diligence surveys; Phase I archeological surveys; Phase II archaeological testing and evaluation; Phase III archaeological excavation, data recovery, and mitigation; archaeological, cultural, and historical artifact and laboratory analysis; preparation of archaeological, cultural, historical, and environmental contexts; preparation of a variety of archaeological documentation and technical reports; and the preparation of artifacts and records for curation.
- Disseminate research and write archaeological, cultural, historical, and environmental contexts.
- Prepare project-specific research designs, and work- and safety-plans.
- Perform and supervise archaeological fieldwork through surface surveys, shovel testing, test unit excavations, unit and trench excavations, and feature excavations.
- Supervise and work on multiple projects and priorities simultaneously.
- Supervise all phases of archaeological fieldwork – conducting reconnaissance/due diligence studies, Phase I surveys, Phase II testing, and Phase III excavations.
- Supervise project teams consisting of field directors, crew chiefs, field archaeologists, and other technical specialists and sub-contractors.
- Perform archaeological, cultural, and historical artifact and laboratory analysis and prepare artifacts and records for curation.
- Prepare written archaeological, cultural, historical, and environmental contexts and a variety of archaeological documentation and technical reports.
- Using the National Register of Historic Places Criteria, make preliminary resource evaluations and recommendations related to archaeological resources identified during project work.
- Complete work within assigned schedules and budgets.
- Participate in public outreach programs to educate the public about the importance of archaeological resources and Heritage Management, at the project, professional, and/or community levels.
- Assist with project management and administrative responsibilities including personnel assignments, and schedules; client, agency, and landowner interaction; and consultation support.
- BA/BS in Anthropology, Archaeology, or related field.
- 3 years of CRM supervisory experience.
- Qualified to register as an RA or RPA with the Register of Professional Archaeologists.
- Familiarity with field geospatial software.
- Technological skills: ESRI Survey 123 and Collector, Microsoft Office, Adobe Acrobat.
- Traditional and digital mapping, including total station and GPS-based mapping skills; photography; survey techniques; and excavation techniques.
- Demonstrable report writing experience.
- Ability to analyze data such as statistical analysis, material culture analysis, and geomorphological analysis.
- Good understanding of the legal framework of CRM.
- Capability to excavate and document excavations.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license and ability to operate a passenger car/light truck.
Travel is project-dependent with an expectation of travel outside the local area and for multiple days. Some projects may require extended travel.
Gray & Pape offers a competitive pay and benefits package, including paid holidays, paid vacation and sick leave, health and disability insurance, and a 401(k)-retirement plan. A complete job description is available upon request.
If you are ready to join our team, please submit the following to Charity Kys, HR Director, at email@example.com. No phone calls, please.
- Cover letter detailing expression of interest;
- Resume or CV;
- 1 writing sample. The preferred writing sample will be a CRM report.
This position is open until filled, and we will be interviewing qualified applicants immediately. Please visit us at https://www.graypape.com/our-company/careers/ to learn more.
Gray & Pape is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to providing an environment of respect and inclusion where equal employment opportunities are available to all applicants and employees. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, or any other protected status under federal, state or local law. Please contact HR to request accommodation.