Dovetail Cultural Resource Group (Dovetail) is a woman-owned cultural resource management firm headquartered in Fredericksburg, Virginia, with an office in Wilmington, Delaware, serving the greater Mid-Atlantic region. Our philosophy is centered on helping clients and agencies achieve their preservation goals while fostering an internal atmosphere of collaboration, sound science, and respectful interactions within our staff.
Dovetail is accepting applications for a full-time, senior-level Project Archaeologist with experience in agency coordination, proposal preparation, and writing complex data recovery reports, preferably to be based out of our Wilmington, Delaware office, though a position in our Fredericksburg, Virginia office may be possible for the right candidate. The ideal candidate will be well-organized, with strong communication and technical writing skills. The salary range for this position is $60,000-$84,000, dependent upon experience, and the position is eligible for performance-based bonuses. Benefits include paid vacation, sick leave, and holidays; medical and dental insurance; 401k plan with matching; and a professional development stipend.
Job responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Planning and participating in cultural resource management projects of all sizes, including client and agency coordination, background investigations, all stages of fieldwork, and in-depth data analysis in accordance with project scope, timeline, and budget, and in coordination with other Dovetail technical specialists; artifact analysis may also be included depending on specialty/experience
- Completing cultural resource management reports and other deliverables to company and agency standards, in compliance with applicable laws, regulations, and guidelines
- Developing project scopes of work, to include data recovery plans, and associated budgets
- Coordination of project results with appropriate agency staff and development of formal compliance documents, as needed
- Consultation with clients, property owners, tribes, descendants, and other groups with a vested interest in cultural resource projects, as applicable
- Training and mentoring archaeological staff in field and analytical techniques, archaeological theory, project management, and cultural resource laws, as appropriate
Minimum qualifications and critical competencies:
- Graduate degree in anthropology, archaeology, or a closely related field
- At least 10 years of full-time professional experience or equivalent specialized training in archaeological research, administration, or management
- Five years of full-time, supervisory-level experience in cultural resource management, including managing budgets and crews; field and analytic experience in the archaeology of eastern North America preferred
- At least two years of experience with agency coordination under Section 106 of the National Historic Preservation Act and/or National Environmental Policy Act
- Thorough understanding of the roles and relationships involved in the historic preservation process, our clients’ projects, and compliance with applicable cultural resource laws
- In-depth knowledge of the precontact period or history of one or more states or regions in Dovetail’s service area, and working knowledge of State Historic Preservation Office guidelines for archaeological investigations throughout this area
- Exceptional writing and editing skills, including proven experience writing data recovery reports or other complex analysis documents, coordination documents, and similar
- Ability to work outdoors in hot or cold temperatures, in conditions that may include wind, rain, or snow; dig, kneel, or crouch for extended periods of time; lift at least 40 pounds; walk for long periods through challenging terrain; and maintain adequate fitness to perform field tasks
- Possession of a valid U.S. driver’s license and ability to travel overnight (approximately 20 to 30 percent)
Please submit a cover letter, curriculum vitae/resume, salary requirements, and at least three references to Andrew Martin at firstname.lastname@example.org. Any questions may be directed to Mr. Martin by email or at (302) 268-8899.
Dovetail is an Equal Opportunity Employer.