Dovetail Cultural Resource Group (Dovetail) is a woman-owned cultural resource management firm headquartered in Fredericksburg, Virginia, with an office in Wilmington, Delaware, serving the greater Mid-Atlantic region. Our philosophy is centered on helping clients and agencies achieve their preservation goals while fostering an atmosphere of collaboration, sound science, and respectful interactions among our staff.
Dovetail is seeking a full-time Archaeological Field Director based out of our Wilmington, Delaware office. The primary responsibilities center on the day-to-day management of small- to medium-sized field projects, including performing background research, monitoring schedules and managing budgets, and preparing reports and other deliverables. The ideal candidate will be well-organized, with strong communication skills. The salary range for the position is $40,000–$54,000, and the position is eligible for performance-based bonuses. Benefits include paid vacation, sick leave, and holidays; medical and dental insurance; 401k plan with matching; and a professional development stipend, among others.
Job responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Planning and executing small- to medium-scale field projects, including background investigations, fieldwork, and reporting, in accordance with project scope, timeline, and budget
- Identifying sites and evaluating their potential eligibility for the National Register of Historic Places
- Coordinating with lab and GIS staff to ensure proper procedures are followed and needs are identified, and coordinating travel such as hotel reservations with administrative staff
- Directing the activities of field crews and other staff assigned to your projects
- Composing, or assisting with composing, project reports and other deliverables for submission to clients and agencies in accordance with relevant agency guidelines and Dovetail’s reporting methodology
- Training and mentoring less experienced archaeological staff in field and analytical techniques, archaeological theory, project management, and cultural resource laws, as appropriate
- Administering Dovetail’s safety protocols, including communicating and enforcing appropriate safety precautions with team members
Minimum qualifications and critical competencies:
- Bachelor’s degree in anthropology, archaeology, or a closely related field, including completion of an archaeological field school, and at least two years of related work experience, six months of which must be supervised field and analytic experience in the archaeology of eastern North America OR Bachelor’s degree in an unrelated field, plus a minimum of five years’ work experience in anthropology, history, or a closely related field, at least six months of which must be supervised field and analytic experience in the archaeology of eastern North America
- In-depth knowledge of the precontact period and/or history of one or more states in Dovetail’s service area
- Strong writing skills, including the ability to follow Dovetail’s grammatical and technical guidelines and produce an accurate, well-organized document
- Working knowledge of federal and state preservation law, particularly Section 106 of the National Historic Preservation Act and the National Register of Historic Places Criteria for Evaluation
- Strong leadership skills, including a professional demeanor and the ability to motivate staff
- Familiarity with data collection using handheld GPS units and the ability to read maps, use a compass, and produce hand-drawn field maps
- Ability to work outdoors in hot or cold temperatures, in conditions that may include wind, rain, or snow; dig, kneel, or crouch for extended periods of time; lift at least 40 pounds; walk for long periods through challenging terrain; and maintain adequate fitness to perform field tasks
- Possession of valid U.S. driver’s license and ability to travel overnight (up to 50 percent)
Please submit a cover letter, curriculum vitae/resume, salary requirements, and at least three references to Andrew Martin at firstname.lastname@example.org. Any questions may be directed to Mr. Martin by email or at (302) 268-8899.
Dovetail is an Equal Opportunity Employer.