This post is sponsored by Beta Analytic.
Founded in 1979, Beta Analytic is the global leader in radiocarbon dating and stable isotope analysis. Since its inception, the laboratory has provided analysis for the archaeological community demonstrating consistent scientific excellence. Utilizing the Accelerator Mass Spectrometry (AMS) technique, the lab provides fast and accurate carbon-14 measurements using smaller sample sizes compared to other methods.
Radiocarbon dating is an invaluable tool for archaeologists to determine the age of organic materials up to 50,000 years, based on the rate of carbon-14 decay in the sample. This method applies to a wide range of sample types including bones, wood, charcoal, textiles, and pottery. Radiocarbon dating results estimate the age of the sample via calibrated age range(s) allowing archaeologists to establish chronologies and reconstruct past human societies. Beyond archaeological chronologies, radiocarbon dating of marine/sediment cores, trees, bones, and marine carbonate samples provides insight into paleontology and paleoclimatology research within the recent quaternary era.
In addition to radiocarbon dating, stable isotope analysis is also routinely used by archaeologists particularly to collect information about ancient diets. For example, measuring carbon (δ13C) and nitrogen (δ15N) isotopes in bone and teeth samples can identify where in the food chain an individual’s diet was sourced, revealing information about terrestrial or marine sources and distinguishing between herbivorous and carnivorous diets. Additionally, data on the δ13C and δ18O values of carbonates can be used as indicators of past climate reflecting changes in freshwater inflow, evaporation, and temperature.
Why Choose Beta Analytic for Radiocarbon Dating?
Beta Analytic offers a unique radiocarbon dating experience focused on meeting scientists’ needs.
- ISO/IEC 17025:2017 accredited results provide precise, high quality data ready for publication.
- Fast results delivered within 3-14 business days to meet your deadlines.
- All analyses include δ13C measurements by IRMS, quality assurance reports, and calendar calibration (when applicable).
- Customer support in more than 9 languages including sampling advice to analyze the most suitable samples and optimize your budget.
- Multiple forwarding offices make it convenient to send samples from different points of the globe – including directly from the field!
Schedule a meeting with our experts to discuss your current and upcoming projects!