Position: Permanent, Salaried Full Time Architectural Historian
$62,000-$72,000 annually commensurate with experience
Write your own history! Acacia Heritage Consulting is a growing cultural resources consulting firm based in Austin, Texas. We are a small, woman-owned business serving a variety of clients and business sectors, including the federal government, state and local governments, DOTs, the energy sector, and private clients building the places and infrastructure of tomorrow. We offer consulting and expertise to promote economic development through heritage awareness and preservation because we believe there are tangible, quantifiable, and long-term economic benefits to historic preservation. Acacia strives to be a part of the solution for sustainable development.
We seek a dedicated, enthusiastic, life learner to help us grow our architectural history program. The position is for mid-level professionals who seek an opportunity to expand their professional range, technical skills, and management responsibilities.
Working directly under the supervision of a company principal, this employee will plan and execute site assessments for historic resources, conduct historical archival research, prepare technical reports, and develop proposals to support various historic resource project types. The candidate should meet the Secretary of the Interior’s Professional Qualifications Standards in Architectural History and have previous experience in the fields of Architectural History and Historic Preservation Planning. This position requires an individual with a MA Degree in History, Architectural History, Historic Preservation or closely related field. Ideally, the candidate should have three to five years of work experience in one or more similar positions.
This position is entirely work-from-home and remote. It demands a self-starting individual who is able to work independently and has strong research and communication skills. The candidate will primarily support work in Texas and adjacent states. Texas/Louisiana/New Mexico/Oklahoma-based candidates are strongly preferred.
- 3-5 years professional experience conducting research, building and structure evaluations, and leading historical studies for Section 106 compliance
- Knowledge and experience working with Section 106 of National Historic Preservation Act and the Secretary of Interior Standards
- Experience writing and producing technical reports; strong writing skills
- Fluency using Microsoft Office software (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) as well as Adobe Acrobat
- Ability to travel regularly
- Ability to conduct thorough, detail-oriented archival research using both physical and online repositories; experience with deed and other property research is essential
- Ability to write clear, well-reasoned, and thorough historic contexts and assessments
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively and take on a wide variety of tasks both large and small
- Ability to work within established project budgets and to plan work accordingly
- Understanding of architectural styles and history in Acacia’s core service area
Preference will be given to candidates who have:
- Proficiency with GIS
- Proficiency with the Adobe creative suite, including InDesign, Photoshop, and Illustrator
- Recent experience with Federal Tax Credit Certification project
- Ability to present project findings in a public setting
- experience working in Texas and surrounding states
- previous experience with TxDOT, ODOT and other DOTs
- Previous project and staff management experience.
Estimated time in the field is 25%. This is full-time salaried position. Compensation will be based on education and experience. Acacia offers an excellent benefits package that includes health/vision/dental insurance, paid vacation, sick leave, holidays, 401k with employer matching, and yearly bonuses based on individual performance and company profitability. A monthly internet and cell phone usage stipend is also provided. Acacia encourages professional development through paid trips to conferences, and specialized training. At Acacia, we love our jobs because they are never boring. We are looking for a new team member who will bring curiosity, enthusiasm, and innovation to the challenges of our field.
Please submit resume with references, brief cover letter, and a writing sample in an email to Rachel Feit at email@example.com