Architectural Historian (Project Manager/Principal Investigator) – Pennsylvania
Established in 1986, ASC Group, Inc. is a majority woman-owned cultural and environmental resources consulting company with a reputation for professionalism and expertise. The company specializes in architectural history, archaeology, ecology, and environmental services and has offices located throughout the Mid-Atlantic and Midwest, including Ohio, Pennsylvania, Kentucky, and Indiana. Our passion is to discover and share our unique cultural and natural environment.
We are seeking a highly motivated and qualified candidate for the role of full-time Architectural Historian, reporting to the Pennsylvania Regional Manager and working in our Harrisburg, PA office. The Architectural Historian is responsible for evaluating the eligibility of historic buildings for listing in the National Register of Historic Places, for Section 106 compliance, and Section 4(f) documentation. This position works with a team including archaeologists and environmental scientists. The Architectural Historian provides expertise in architectural history to the office. The salary range is $55,000-$65,000/yr based on experience.
The right person will enjoy:
- Competitive compensation and benefits including medical, dental, vision, EAP, and HRA
- 401(k) plan with employer match
- A fast-paced, engaging office
- A collaborative team and excellent work environment
- Paid holidays and vacation
- A professional network that extends throughout the Mid-Atlantic and Midwest
- Training and professional development opportunities
The ideal candidate will have a Master’s or Bachelor’s degree in Architectural History, Historic Preservation, History, Art History, or a closely related field. Candidates must also have a minimum of 5 years’ experience in cultural resource management with an emphasis on Section 106 regulations and compliance, determinations of eligibility for the National Register of Historic Places. Excellent written and oral communication skills are critical, as is attention to detail. The ability to work as a team member in a fast paced, collaborative environment is important.
Our desired, well-rounded candidate will work on our existing and upcoming Section 106 compliance projects. Other job duties will include:
- Perform literature review and records checks
- Research archival/ historical documents
- Conduct field work based on contracted projects
- Complete Historic Resource Survey Forms
- Complete Determination of Effect Evaluations
- Resolve adverse effects
- Complete Section 4(f) Evaluations
- Coordinate and communicate with consulting partners and clients
- Complete/file Historic Architectural Building Survey (HABS) documents, Federal and State Level
- Coordinate with state agencies (primarily State DOT and State SHPO)
- Conduct light marketing
- Attend client/agency, consulting party, and public meetings
In-office attendance is a requirement, but remote work for portions of each week is an option after 90 days based on job requirements. Candidates must meet the Secretary of the Interior’s Professional Qualifications (36 CFR 61) for Architectural History. Must have or obtain a valid driver’s license.
If you’re interested in joining our team, we’d love to talk to you! Please submit your resume and a cover letter to Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Candidates must be vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus and must be legally authorized to work in the United States without sponsorship. This position is physically located in Pennsylvania and no relocation is offered. ASC Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer. This job posting is designed to be a good representation of the job requirements by is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities required of the employee.